Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Diving in: an Ette Girl gift guide for kids.


Hey ya'll:

Without any ado, this little blog shall commence with a gift guide.  With three-ish weeks to go, no one is procrastinating just yet!

Games

Here I shall confess that I am not a big 'game player'.  I groan when the nippers drag out 'Monopoly', and the sight of chess board just about makes me cry.  There are a few, however, that are favorites all around in this house, mama included.
Three of them:



Yatzhee


My lovely sister-in-law's family plays this game.  All. The. Time.  Marrying into this family required of my brother that he, too, develop a Yahtzee passion.  And before long, we all started playing.  Including my nippers.  This is a truly great game.  With the added bonus of encouraging the kids to practice math skills.  Waaay better than flash cards.


Chinese Checkers

From the Vermont Country Store!

Do ya'll remember playing this?  I do, and I had forgotten how fun it is.  So simple, even the younger of the crew (3 ish) can partake.



Make 'N' Break


Absurdly fun, fast paced stacking game: this one levels the playing field between ages (read: your little ones might just take you out!)
Added bonus: the blocks are real wood.




Toys we have found tireless:


Kapla Blocks

Conceptually simple (think identical wooden blocks), with endless creative building options.  Totally engrossing. 

 Lego Friends  

Legos are an awesome, classic toy.  When the company came out with 'girl centric' legos, however, I was skeptical.  Until I saw my daughters go bananas over them.  This was a year ago, and they still haul out the lego bin on a daily basis.  




Magnatiles

Perhaps an all time favorite: we got our first set when my oldest was four, and he played for nine straight hours.  No kidding.   Six years later, these still enthrall.







For even more ideas for your minions: Ette Girl Gift Guide: Kiddos

No comments:

Post a Comment